Sunday, January 18, 2015

Evolution of a Dolphin Painting

Despite being a movie buff, I have never seen, "The Cove," and that is by my choice.  I think I would find the imagery too disturbing. I've been enamored of dolphins since I was about 12 years old, and had recurring dreams wherein I am swimming with them amid shafts of sunlight that filter down through the water. I admit to romanticizing them somewhat just like everyone else does, although Karen Pryor's operant conditioning training methods have changed my life.

I'm currently recovering from an artistic slump, and what better way to do it than turn to my lifelong inspiration.  Here's the progress of my newest painting, in photographs.  This is 9x12" acrylic.


 
Laying the foundation for the painting; blues and purples.

 
Adding some darker areas for detail.

 
Now the contrast -- yellows and oranges to brighten the image.

 
Final highlights

No comments: