Monday, December 10, 2007

Today's Ornament - Alaskan Malamute

As the countdown to Christmas commences, I've decided to share some of my favorites of my ornament designs. I have over 175 designs now; most of which are dog breeds. If you click on the ornament it should take you to the WonderMutt store where they are available.

Today's ornament is a team of Alaskan Malamutes. The two lead dogs actually belong to my insurance agent. He mushes here in Michigan as a hobby. His girlfriend had given me some photos of them lying around the house, but wanted a dynamic painting to hang over his mantle.

I looked around online and found some images of dogs mushing. I used the images as a guide, but made the two lead dogs his dogs. Bob is actually in the picture too! But I cut him out for the ornament. If you look on the right you can see a little of his blue jacket.

This painting is one of my favorites because of the action. I think one can see the pulling effort as the dogs throw themselves into their work. Dog sled races are a lot of fun. When I lived in Alaska I was lucky enough to experience the North American Sled Dog races in Fairbanks. What a great time that was!

Showing these ornaments off is going to be a fun project for me. The only problem is that there are so many to choose from.

No comments: